You didn’t realize what day it was, did you?! It’s not quite as exciting as the after Christmas sale at Anthropologie or free cone day at Ben and Jerry’s, but it’s a dang fine day regardless: Swap It Like Its HOT!!!! A few years ago, I started this little thing with some blogging pals- we each mailed each other thrift store goodies to make over and post about. Today marks the SIXTH time for this rodeo and I cannot WAIT to see what everyone has been up to with their thrifted happy mail!
Steph from One Mile Home Style sent me a plethora of awesomeness. I’m always torn by my SWAP items between using them for something that could easily integrate into my home and being a little more eccentric and creative! I did a little bit of both this round! (Spoiler alert: I saved one for later so I wouldn’t make any rash decisions…)
These candlesticks could have been used for SO many things… I considered mounting the horse to one of them and spray painting it, but that seemed too obvious.
Frames are usually something I love, but these were complicated *slightly* because the glass was literally embedded into the wood so I couldn’t remove it.
The dimensions of the candlesticks and the frames were identical so… I figured they’d make a nice sturdy frame for my new One Room Challenge shed perhaps! I’m not going crazy with color in the shed, but I did use some fun DecoArt chalky finish paint to makeover an old set of file drawers… so I decided to use the leftover paint for my SWAP makeovers! (Materials list at the end of the post!)
For the frames, I pulled the ‘suede’ off of the candlestick blocks and cleaned them up with my favorite de-gluer (affiliate). I found a combination of the remover and hot water with steel wool worked like a charm! Then I spray painted the candlesticks with my fave white paint (affiliate).
The ducks were easy to adios, but the stripes on the glass of the frame were actually painted on the glass and not a matte. So I grabbed the Goof Off (see above) and it easily came off. I wanted the actual frames to have a quasi-watercolor look to them (aka haphazard and sloppy) so I just slapped on stripes of paint by hand. I’m wondering if I should have been messier so it’s obvious this was an intentional choice and not just crappy painting?!
To attach the frames to the base… I used some mini-hinges. The plastic of the base was rigid enough that the screw started to split it, so I used my usual epoxy and glued it in place. I screwed the other side into the back of the wooden frame.
I taped a photograph to the back of one frame and thought the other could be a fun dry erase board to help me jot down dimensions or other quick measurements.
Moving onto the tray. I actually didn’t mind the tray as is… kitschy cool and all. But that’s no fun for you so… I gave it a little update. The DecoArt paint sticks to most things, so I gave the tray a once over with steel wool and then marked off a simple pinwheel pattern. I filled in the sections by hand, epoxied a washer to the back to act as a hook and hung it in the shed, waiting to be a useful magnet board!
* The horse was amazing, and I got worried I’d do something impulsive, so I’m sitting on her and waiting for the right idea to strike. Until then, I’m trying to find just the perfect occasion for the last few drops of cologne left in the bottle. #fancy
Here’s what I sent to my blog bestie Bee from Windgate Lane. I sent her SUCH a random assortment of stuff, and these are the ones she made over. Cannot WAIT to see what she did with them!
And tune in all week to see what everyone else has in store!
Don't miss a post! Sign up for email or RSS updates!