A quick note: Over the weekend I moved Ciburbanity to its very own big boy server so I’m slowly trying to piece it all back together. Hopefully this will be a great chance for me to include some features and details that I didn’t have access to before… If any of you bloggers have any plugin suggestions, I’m all ears!
These nightstands came from Craigslist long before I had a blog on which to show the step by step! They were a nondescript pine color and I’ve been loving them ever since they came across my paint brush.
But…. the knobs were a problem. (Aren’t they always?!) They weren’t offensive- heck, we lived with them for a year- but they weren’t pretty either.
I was hoping to replace them with something like these from Anthropologie, but the existing knobs had two screws and the Anthro lovelies only have one. I could have patched the screw holes with wood filler and started from scratch, but that seemed like a lot of effort.
Especially since I grabbed these bad boys from Home Depot. They required two new (wider) screw holes, but they also covered the holes left by the old knobs.
If you put a piece of painters tape on the back of your drawer pull, you can poke a hole in the tape where the screws should go, and tape this against your surface as a guide. MUCH easier than trying to measure perfectly.
Another little tip that I picked up from John and Sherry from Young House Love: stick a piece of tape under your drill to catch the wood shavings.
You know how sometimes the simple projects can throw you a little speed bump? Well the screws were too short unless I also drilled a slight recess in the back of the drawer for the screw head to fit inside. Does that make sense? I couldn’t take pictures because the drawers were too small, but basically the screws needed to sit within the drawer front in order for them to reach the knobs. Luckily we had an extra large drill bit that was large enough to accommodate my screw heads.
I marked the big guy with my Sharpie so I knew how far to drill, and it worked like a charm.
After I ironed out all my kinks with first one, the second nigh stand went way faster. 12 screws and 6 knobs later, and these look better than ever!
Here’s a reminder of what they looked like before to save you the scrolling.
Oh, Oliver was my helper and insisted on getting in on the “After” pics.
Don't miss a post! Sign up for email or RSS updates!