I like having a little seating in the foyer for putting on shoes or chucking your bag when you walk in the door. I picked up this amazing arm chair upholstered in kilim carpet from Craigslist because of the simple lines and the size. Other chairs felt dwarfed by the foyer table, but this was the perfect height.
It was not, however, the perfect fabric to complement the rest of the room. Here’s my philosophy with upholstery… what’s the worst that can happen?! The chair needed to be recovered so why not try my hand at it. If it’s a disaster, I can always take it into a real upholsterer to get fixed!
As fun as this chair looked, it was disgusting when I started pulling the fabric off… dusty and dingy.
Getting all the fabric off took the longest with this project: nail heads, lots of old staples, and very thick heavy (filthy) fabric. Upholstery is incredibly satisfying but not for the faint of heart… nail heads and staples and lint balls, oh my!
With the chair free from its kilim, I reached for my new fabric. In a MacGyver decorating move, I went with these amazing Kajsamia curtain panels from Ikea. They’re a nice sturdy cotton and I fell in love with the modern graphic pattern.
I took plenty of pictures before so I had those as a reference, and I used the old fabric as a template. Rather than wrap the base of the chair in a strap of fabric like the kilm chair, I opted to simply wrap each corner to keep the look a little cleaner and sleek.
Trimming the excess fabric, a matching strip of gimp to cover the staples and the foyer chair is reborn!
I’m no upholstery expert but am happy to answer specific questions if you have them; just post a comment! Like I said earlier in the week in this post, take chances and don’t be limited by some idea of ‘the rules.’ In this case, the upholstery was easier than it looked, and the Ikea curtain is a fun, unexpected (cost effective!) pattern for the front foyer.
Linked up here.
Don't miss a post! Sign up for email or RSS updates!