The first thing we did was remove the yew bushes and take out the trees that were encroaching on the house.
Oh yeah, we also dug up 945 tons of bamboo. (We did a little research about bamboo and it’s insidious to say the least. The recommended methods are to poison the life out of it by spraying or cutting and poisoning each stalk, or to remove the plants and their root system. We opted for the latter and have had no reoccurrence other than the occasional shoot coming up from the neighbor’s yards.)
Next we replace the two railroad ties that the previous owner had coming down from the family room with an actual patio.
The front needed a little help also, so we added a walkway and some planting beds. Thanks to Hurricane Sandy, we were set back a bit in 2012 because of the flood waters killing off much of our landscaping, but we’re slowly replanting and excited for spring to see how everything is coming along!
We had a fun little spell trying to repair an underground box drain that was caving in…
Last but not least, in the summer of 2013, we added a bedroom over the garage! Not only does it give us a room for Louisa, but it also balances out the rest of the house. The garage was an addition and it always felt disproportionate to the older historic portion of the home… Now, the whole thing makes much more sense!