Time to come clean: I only added some of the items on the household To Do list because I knew I could complete them in the near future… you all do that, right? Add something to a To Do list that you’ve basically finished just so you can cross it off?
Well, new curtains for Martha’s room were one of those items. I had some curtains up there that were just awful. Bungled like a bad home ec project. The windows are tricky, I’ll say that… the window well is too shallow to accommodate any inside mount window treatment (i.e. a nice Roman shade). And the window wall is the only wall for the beds because of the sloped ceilings, so there’s always a head board in front of them. Like I said, not ideal.
I toyed with the idea of hanging one giant super curtain across all three windows. I thought it might be a nice focal point behind the beds and it might balance the room a bit. But… as you can see in this picture, the 3rd floor is a finished attic so the windows aren’t centered in the room because of the closet. I was ultimately worried that a big curtain against this wall would look off center and cramped because of how tight the trim is against the slope and the closet.
So back to the individual panels. I grabbed these Merete curtains from Ikea for $24.99 thinking I’d paint some stripes on them back when I was in the single giant curtain mind set. When I bagged that plan, I figured I’d paint stripes on them and hang them in each window.
But THEN my brain finally woke up from its groggy funk, and, just like Dorothy, I realized I had the power to make awesome new curtains all along. With a click of my
ruby slippers green clogs, I reached for one of my favorites: ball fringe.
I finished these curtains in 2 hours. Because we had a very important episode of How I Met Your Mother to catch up on, I bagged the sewing machine and set up my iron to make the 3 curtain panels just like I did for the playroom. I kept the width of the curtains to avoid the extra work and simply measured and used my hem tape to clean up the top and the bottom edges.
Once all three panels were set, I pulled out my ball fringe and glued it on either edge of each curtain.
I used the black out panels from the old curtains to help keep the room a little darker for Martha’s afternoon naps. And same rods, same ring clips… cost of this project was only the Ikea curtain panels since I already had the hem tape, fringe, fabric glue, and curtain parts.
The simple white curtains with the bright and cheerful kelly green ball fringe are SO much nicer than the previous curtains that felt old fashioned almost immediately. I’m telling you, ball fringe might just be the answer to any design dilemma!
Don't miss a post! Sign up for email or RSS updates!