The jury’s still out… this is either crazy frugal or crazy cool. (Obviously I vote for the latter…)
After dying our Easter eggs, I couldn’t bare to throw away all that dye as it was just screaming for a project. I couldn’t get past the idea of tie dye so we went with that. Sort of.
I’d seen images on Pinterest where someone used glue to essentially batik a piece of fabric. A day before we did this, I doodled a quick design with Elmer’s gel glue so that it could dry overnight. Voila.
Then, I set up our work station with all the egg dye on one cookie sheet, and the t-shirt draped over two others. Eleanor used a dropper to ‘apply’ the dye to the t-shirt.
She carefully squeezed each color until we’d covered the entire front. (Fine motor practice AND fashion design!)
The colors blended together into a lovely mottled tone. Here’s where I ask anyone with a chemistry degree to explain the nuances of Easter egg dye… it went from the vibrant mottled tie dye you see above to this:
Not that I mind the subtlety, but it seems remarkable how much the dye faded. Pastel colors are very in for 2013, by the way, but if you want brighter colors, obviously regular ol’ Ritt dye would totally work.
I refuse to model the shirt as I’m going on waaaay too long without a hairbrush and my skin has the subtle translucency of someone who hasn’t seen daylight for 5 months. These pictures aren’t great at showing the subtle remnants of the dye, but it’s sweet and I’d definitely try it again. Maybe with a smaller t-shirt so Eleanor can wear it and enjoy her handy work. And then you’ll have a real model!
Don't miss a post! Sign up for email or RSS updates!