Welcome to Ciburbanity! If peace and quiet is what you’re after… this might not be the right place for you, but I can promise you ideas and honesty and fun and, well… maybe a little bit of organized chaos. Grab your hot glue gun and a cup of seasonal coffee and take a seat!
So, what’s with the name, Ciburbanity? Ci [city]…………..burb [suburb]…………..anity [sanity] Lesson number one about starting a blog… think about the name. Is Ciburbanity clever? Maybe. Easy to pronounce?… Not so much. Memorable?… You tell me!
Three years ago, I was living in New York City maneuvering subways not power tools. I worked as a school guidance counselor and knew nothing about blogging or designing or DIYing. But then we up and went suburban and my job description took a turn for the craftier!
My husband Mark and I have five children ages 6.5 and under: Eleanor, Oliver, Martha, Louisa and Arthur. Eleanor loves art as much as her brother loves Superman and Martha and Louisa take turns with their fleet of baby dolls. Arthur, at 6 months old, is just along for the raucous ride!
Other members of our family? The loudest member of the family is our dog, Frank. He’s a rescue. We mostly love him, but he’s chewed up every ball we have and wakes up the baby every time he barks (which is approximately 14 times an hour) so he might show up on Craigslist one day. There’s not much you can’t put on Craigslist.
This past spring we moved around the corner to our second suburban fixer upper and the project list grew longer than ever. I write about everything from fixing up this old house of ours from tiling to upholstery to flea market domination.
Another highlight for this little blog was that one time I got to smile on the back page of Better Homes and Gardens.
My design style is fun frugal repurposed eclectic. Look it up… it’s probably a thing. I like colors and whimsy and brass and rattan. I can negotiate like a ninja and I may or may not have 8 chairs, 3 coffee tables, and a dresser in my garage. There are definitely advantages to this whole suburban living thing, but it might take me a little while to completely shake my urban adoration!
- I bought a Kindle because I was too embarrassed to be reading the Gossip Girl series on the NYC subway. (On a related note, I own the Sisterhood of the Traveling pants and the Hunger Games trilogy.)
- Our youngest daughter, Louisa is named after my grandmother, Mary Louise.
- I wish I could play the banjo and/ or the trumpet.
- Chances are I won’t change the channel if I stumble across Apollo 13… I’ve seen it more than I can count.
- Peppermint Stick is my favorite ice cream.
- I could watch the TV show Hoarders all day…they make me feel inordinately better about my junk drawers.
- I learned how to make homemade pasta at my not so raucous bachelorette party.
- My friend, Lisa, and I used to sell tie dye t-shirts from my front yard.
- My husband and I went to the same high school but didn’t start dating until we were both 30.
- I’d love to drive an RV across the country one day.
- I love sewing but am so bad at it… I couldn’t sew a straight line if I tried.
- As much as I love a clean house, I love watching my kids enjoy a messy craft.
- I like my milkshakes with malt.
- I’m hopeless at moderation and worry that our house looks like 25 people have been decorating. (MDPD= Multiple Decorating Personality Disorder)
- I’m pretty confident that the value of our home has increased since the addition of the Homegoods two miles away a few years ago.
I love hearing from all of you who stop by so please PLEASE introduce yourself and drop me a note! I’m a sucker for comments… on some days they might be the only piece of adult conversation I get! Check out my YouTube channel here and join the social media fun with me on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram.