We are now a card carrying member of the sunburst mirror club.
I need to interrupt though, because if you’re anything like me, having read the title of this post, you now have the first chords of Rob Base and DJ E-Z Rock banging around your groggy head. You’re welcome.
Sorry, I’m back. Now that I’ve told you about the club, you’ll realize there are members everywhere.
Of course when I saw a string of these I could DIY on the cheap, I added it to my project list. There were lots of varieties. Some with paint stirrers:
some with dowel rods:
some with cardboard:
All lovely. BUT… the ones I liked the most used shims. They felt a little more consistent with the real deal, I liked the scale, and… still simple to construct. I checked out this and this post to make sure I was on the right track.
- 20 packs of shims (give or take)
- wood glue
- round mirror (mine was $5.99 from HomeGoods)
- spray paint (I used metallic gold)
- small piece of plywood for hanging
- D rings for hanging
The first thing I did was lay out my shims to see if they came together as easily as these blogs made it sound. They do, they really really do.
I played around with ‘ray’ patterns: some more uniform, other’s more varied… I liked the varied.
For assembly, I followed the lead of these other bloggers, and made each ‘ray’ individually first. My system was very detailed and sophisticated (not)… I wanted each shim to be about an inch below the next so I figured out one, traced it, and then used this outline as my guide for all the others.
At first, I made my rays and used clamps to hold them together; but my gorilla wood glue was pretty tacky so by the end I just glued and waited for them to dry.
Piecing them together was simple, but getting the ‘perfect’ circle was trickier. I used a piece of newspaper to help guide my rays and tried to manipulate them all as best I could before the glue dried. I had to get creative where the circle came together and ended up inverting a couple of shims so the wider side was actually towards the middle of the circle.
I let the shims dry for a day, then glued my round mirror right on top being careful to measure that it was centered (that’s what those yellow hash marks are for…).
After a day for the glue to dry, I spray painted it metallic gold. (Any color would have looked fine, in my opinion, but many of these sunburst mirrors are a metallic of sorts.) I simply taped some newspaper over the mirror (trimming the rough edge with an exacto knife) and sprayed the whole thing.
For hanging, I used my jigsaw (Mark has since deemed it the best tool in our tool collection) to cut a circle out of some scrap plywood. With super strong industrial gorilla glue, I stuck this on the back of the mirror.
Two D-rings and some picture wire later…
I hung this in the library for now; it’s adjacent to the living room where there are lots of other gold accents. It’s heavy- maybe 10 lbs- but so far it feels sturdy enough. I can’t wait to see how it looks during the day with the sun pouring in! (Sun bursting onto my sunburst mirror if you will…)
Don't miss a post! Sign up for email or RSS updates!